From this page you can access the following index:
The Literary Encylopedia comprises five cross-related data tables:
- People lists 7175 people, mainly writers but also including philosophers, scientists and others of note.
- Works lists 31653 works, mainly literary but also philosophical and scientific.
- Topics lists 16530 topics, including many historical events, explanations of critical terms and issues in critical theory. . .
- Links over 3440 selected links to quality resources on the Internet.
- Recommended Readings over 19851 items of recommended bibliography.
We are adding profiles as fast as they can be written, generally about 10 per week, but as these are written by scholars of standing in their fields you will appreciate such quality can only be achieved with patience. Each search-results screen indicates (via icons and fonts) if an entry is complete or incomplete, or whether it is a short note or a completed essay. Even where entries have not yet been completed, each listed record is richly stocked with metadata so that it can be searched in simple and advanced ways – for country, gender, genre, date, etc., or for finding an author's or text's contemporaries. This is a very complex digital environment which rewards exploration. Please see our Guide for full advice on how to use the site.