This essay is divided into five parts which together give an overview of the socio-economic organisation of farming from Anglo-Saxon times to the nineteenth century, focusing particularly on the enclosure of land.
1. Medieval agriculture before the enclosures, circa 900-1200
2. Agricultural enclosures, circa 1200-1660
3. Agricultural enclosures, 1660-1760
4. Agricultural enclosures; the major phase, 1760 onwards
5. Later Enclosures, 1816 onwards
The “enclosures” is a general term for the change in agricultural practice from the collective farming of large open fields, which was used in Anglo-Saxon and Medieval times, to the modern system of …