M. R. James: Ghost Stories of an Antiquary (1226 words)

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary is a short story collection by noted English Biblical and textual scholar, Montague Rhodes James. The opening story, “Canon Alberic’s Scrapbook”, was originally published in the National Review during March 1895 under the title “The Scrap-book of Canon Alberic”; “Lost Hearts” first appeared in the Pall Mall Gazette in December of that year. The remaining six stories saw print for the first time in this collection, but had been written at various dates between c.1892 and 1904. Most were originally composed to be read aloud for the entertainment of James’s colleagues and students at Christmas gatherings, held annually in his rooms at King’s College, Cambridge, where …

Evans, Dewi Llyr. "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary". The Literary Encyclopedia. First published 17 September 2011
[http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=4972, accessed 27 October 2016.]