When William Grimshaw went to Haworth in Yorkshire in 1742 as perpetual curate of St Michael's, the village was virtually unknown to any apart from the locals. High up in the Pennine range, Haworth was a windswept and desolate spot. John Newton, hymn-writer and vicar of Olney and later of St Mary's, Woolnoth in London, could say of Haworth: ‘The bleak and barren face of the adjacent country was no improper emblem of the state of the inhabitants; who in general had little more sense of religion than their cattle.' But during William Grimshaw's twenty-one-year curacy from 1742-1763 a major change took place.
Today the name ‘Haworth' has become synonymous with the literary achievements of the three Brontë sisters, but there is …
Cook, Shirley Faith. "William Grimshaw". The Literary Encyclopedia. First published 10 March 2008
[http://www.litencyc.com/php/speople.php?rec=true&UID=11903, accessed 27 February 2017.]