Colin Wilson: The Return of the Lloigor

(2383 words)

Colin Wilson’s absorbing novella The Return of the Lloigor (1974), running to 60 pages, is an expansion and revision of a short story of the same title that originally appeared in Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos (1969), edited by the writer August Derleth (1909-71) and published by Arkham House, the press founded in 1939 by Derleth and his fellow-writer Donald Wandrei (1908-87) to preserve the fiction of the American horror and fantasy writer H(oward) P(hilips) Lovecraft (1890-1937). As Bernice Murphy points out in her Literary Encyclopedia entry on Lovecraft, the term “Cthulhu Mythos” was only coined after Lovecraft’s death, but the story that did most to create it was Lovecraft’s “…

Please log in to consult the article in its entirety. If you are not a subscriber, please click here to read about membership. All our articles have been written recently by experts in their field, more than 95% of them university professors.

Citation:
Tredell, Nicolas. "The Return of the Lloigor". The Literary Encyclopedia. First published 17 June 2013
[http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=23950, accessed 02 September 2014.]